Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chapter 2 & 3

The idea of photographic narrative really appeals to me. Story telling through photos is one of my passions, I love setting up a scene and then capturing it. (One of the reasons I want to do album artwork) Jeff Walls work is interesting in that it has almost a photojournalistic feel to it, yet it is still staged. Even though a lot of work went into the scenes, and they are very interesting, I tend to prefer the works of Gregory Crewdson and Izima Kaora which are very obviously staged. I love the fact that an idea can be portrayed so well through a photo narrative, such as Yinka Shonibare's "diary of a Victorian Dandy".

Before reading the chapter 3, I assumed that deadpan only included people and their faces. (Such as Thomas Ruff, and Hiroshi Sugimoto) It is interesting to see the extent that deadpan aesthetic. I personally really like Andreas Gurskys work and how the originality within this type of photography. (even though hes not the only one) This style is really interesting both in the photographs with people, and with scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment